This summer, I’ve decided to jump in on the Summer Reading Challenge by these cool peeps : http://thereadersroom.org/challenges/summer-reading-challenge/
I’ve got my reading passport all set up (which was a really cute addition to the challenge) and now have to read books that are linked with each of these places so I’m sort of hoping to get some contributions from you guys to start picking the books! So far I’ve read Franz Kafka’s ‘The Metamorphosis’ for Austria, based on the tenuous link that Kafka drew his last tuberculosisy breath in Austria.
I’m pondering ‘Lake Vacation’ at the moment and was all set to go for ‘Bag of Bones’ by Stephen King but Goodreads informs me that it’s really, really long and not as interesting as some of his other books. Normally that wouldn’t bother me but this is a competition, dammit!
Goodreads is proving to be an amazing tool, who would have thought such a list as this one could exist? Seriously, what sort of insanely helpful person would create such a thing?!
Anyways, if anyone would like to help me out with suggestions here it would be greatly appreciated:
1. New York
2. Area 51
5. Lake Vacation
6. On a Budget
8. Spiritual Retreat
9. Austria – The Metamorphosis ~ Franz Kafka (because he died there)
12. San Diego Zoo
13. First Visit (debut novel) – Divergent ~ Veronica Roth
15. Train Travel – Girl on the Train ~ Paula Hawkins
17. Traveling with Kids
19. Award Ceremony (award winning title) –
21. Alternate World
22. Bora Bora
24. Scotland Yard – Sherlock Holmes ~ Arthur Conan Doyle (can’t beat a classic!)
25. Forbidden Location (banned book) – Clockwork Orange ~ Anthony Burgess
26. Music Festival
29. National Forest
30. Wild West
As you can see, I’m not really coming up with much at the moment so I’d appreciate any connections, as tenuous as you like!